Tuesday, January 05, 2010

WINTER'S HEAT

I'm not as young as I once was, and truth to tell I've never been the most burly of fellows. Now, in the midst of Winter, with temperatures in the 'teens, the PetroLords gleefully watch their stocks and profits rise upon the shivering people of the Northeast.

Carbon-footprint be damned, I have a fireplace insert, and as I examined my last few year's of utility bills, I find that I saved six-hundred and fifty dollars last Winter through the immolation of dead trees. Well, fact of the matter is that there is no inherent value other than warmth attached to that cellulose fed into Moloch's furnace. Otherwise it's time, and effort, and sore muscles soothed with ibuprofen. But last year, the grunt work saved me $650. in Black Gold. Not too shoddy! But, as I've noted, I am aging, and the joints, tendons, ligaments and muscle are not as forgiving as they once were, oh no.

Fortuitously, I have noted that our "humble" domicile faces due South and we are in the process of re-financing for substantial renovations. Glass walls and Black metal! This is a formula for nearly-free heat, and we will make use of it. If we wish to become just-a-bit more sophisticated, we can store some of the Day Star. Maybe down the road a piece...

Warmth and relaxation for aging bones sure seems the way to go. No heat-leaking McMansion for us, just a Cozy box.

Such a Paradise will perhaps well suffice,

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger Roger Owen Green said...

Well, old man, this week, we're having our attic insulated, or in parts, reinsulated. It's not done yet, but already, we feel the difference. And there's a tax incentive in 2009 and 2010. I wonder if the work on your house would qualify?

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Socks said...

Wow! $650 last year?! Good fighting, Giant! Have you put up the solar curtains? (Having neither trees nor fireplace nearby, I want to try to glom onto someone else's solar glory.) Perhaps the curtains could save you another $5...? Nevertheless, KUDOS!!!
--Socks
P.S. I agree with previous Mr./Ms. Anonymous - writing's clear, yet quirky enough to be yours. Onward and upward in 2010, dudiker!

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I think precise post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home